Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Great Scrub Rush of '08

A couple of years ago I added another "slash" to my title.

Actor/Director/Writer/Amateur Digital Photographer/Soap Making Hobbyist. 

For an artist, I've never considered myself particularly crafty. It all goes back to my 7th grade home economics class. I was an excellent cook. Had that been the only skill required I would have aced the course. But there was a little matter of a sewing project. I, like a fool, chose a halter top and skort set. It was, after all, the 80's. That skort was my undoing. I had been an A student all throughout elementary school. My final sewing project was my first "D"...but it wouldn't be the last.

Consequently, I've spent my life running from all things crafty. There was a time when I couldn't spend more than 5 minutes in a fabric store without getting the vapors.

Since becoming a mother I've been inspired by some very craftay mamas to release my inner artisan.

A few years back a friend introduced me to soap making. She made the most delectable sugar scrubs and soaps, and I became addicted. I think she got me started making my own so I'd stop stalking her. She's since been absorbed into the witness protection program, but I don't think it's related to me. Actually, she works with Babybearshop. Check them out, they make excellent organic products for mamas and babies.

With the end of the school year fast approaching, I have been besieged with orders for teachers gifts. I call it The Great Scrub Rush of '08 because it makes me feel important. For the past week I have been booty-deep in sugar scrub, soaps, cellophane wrap, and ribbons.

I just made my last delivery of the day, so now I am free to focus on Artists Aloud in Tennessee.

Thanks to another friend, I have been in contact with a woman who provided me with some excellent podcasting resources. The research has begun. I hope to be up and gabbing soon.

By the way, if you are at all interested in soap making I highly recommend Brambleberry. Excellent products, great customer service. I order all of my supplies from them.

1 comment:

Julie Clark said...

Love the soaps and scrubs Brenda - I actually delivered some today to the nurses at the hospital who took care of me and sarah!!! thanks again!

Iris

Iris
The state flower of Tennessee. Photography by Brenda Sparks.